01 July 2012

Sunday Songs...

Today is a pretty music-filled day. It started off with church, and I was set to sing some patriotic songs with an ensemble, having a lengthy solo on one song, in particular.

Let me tell you a secret (okay, it's not really a secret). I never really like church services where we focus on patriotism. I know. I sound so very un-American. I promise, I love my country. I guess it's hard to put in words. Maybe it's that I feel more conflicted. I feel like my pride and respect for the land where I live is completely separate and can't compare to the deep love I have for my Savior. It's not as if they're incompatible, I just don't like it much. But I get over it. We don't come in and worship the flag or treat it as an idol (well, I can't speak for everyone). And when our music director asks me to sing, I oblige. There's not much I wouldn't do for her.

Anyway, the song started to grow on me a little. Admittedly, it grew on me a little more when I started hearing the compliments coming in. I have a pretty good voice. I can carry a tune. I was never the star of my high school choir. I won a few awards, but not many. Some of that was because I always became terribly nervous, and my nerves never failed to help me ruin a decent performance. I also don't read music very well. I fake it pretty well. I say all that to bring home the point that I really feed off compliments. Okay, it's a love/hate. My ego sure enjoys it, but I always have trouble with how to respond. I have finally gotten over the need to say something completely self-deprecating. My usual response now is a simple "Thank you".

I also feel silly talking about getting compliments, because let me tell you, I married into a family with a few really talented singers/musicians. Talented doesn't even describe it. Brother-in-law was a piano and organ prodigy. It's his calling, and he makes a very successful career out of his musical abilities.

So, there's that.

But I came home, and I just had to break out my Fleetwood Mac. Rumours is one of the greatest albums made, with one of the greatest backstories behind it. I didn't appreciate it much as a kid (other than a couple of their 80s hits), but the older I get, the more I fall in love with them as a band.

After listening, I wanted to see if there were any way I could get my hands on the Buckinham Nicks album. It has never been released as a CD and there is no way to (legally) download the album. I don't have a turntable, so there you go. As luck would have it, someone has posted the entire album on YouTube. I remember my mom having this album.

She's since passed, and I'm sure the album has been warped, as many of hers were when they were put in storage years ago (I'm sure she lost thousands of dollars worth of music).

I've been pretty wordy here, but I'll end it with a song that makes me think of my hubby. I love that man. Songbird from Rumours.


See you later. Maybe this will end up being a theme. I like "Sunday Songs". Who knows?

No comments: