28 September 2007

Other Exciting Happenings...

I've been debating posting this story, because I'm going to look like a bad mom. Ah well. Sobeit. I got the scare of my life on Tuesday.

Ezra got my Carmex (lip balm stuff) and put it in his hair (isn't that where it belongs???), so I went to run some bath water. I came back, and Ezra's gone. I check the rooms. Nope. Did he open the front door? HOLY CRAP! Did he figure out how to open the door WITH the doorknob safety covers? I run outside and yell for him. Nope. I came back inside and yelled for him. I was starting to panic.

THEN... Plano PD shows up at my door with one of our maintenance staff. Before I could get a word out, he says, "Are you missing something?" I replied, "Yes! My son, where is he?" In that second, I imagined him to be injured or worse. The officer then informed me that he was safe with a neighbor (one I had never met), and asked me some questions. I go from horror to relief that he's okay to humiliation to worry. I showed him that I had the cover on the doorknob. We went to get Ezra, and then with all of the major worries (is CPS going to take my child away???), I start thinking about all the stupid things. "What are they thinking of me? My kid got out! He's only in a diaper. He has Carmex goo on his head!" I was bawling the whole time. I talked to the office about getting another lock installed at the top of the door.

I think I cried more that day than I have in months, combined. The officer had to file a report, but didn't know if CPS would get involved. I'm assuming they won't, but you never know. They have now put a chain lock at the top of the door, so I feel safer, but man... This kid gets into everything, and can get OUT of anything.

So, that is my trauma o' the month. Hopefully, this kind of trauma will never happen again.

Oh, and I think I must have made a certain statement more than once, because Anna came up to me later that day and said, "Ezwah's gonna be da def 'a you, huh?" (Translation for those who don't speak toddler - "Ezra's going to be the death of you, huh?") I just replied, "Maybe, but I love him with all my heart, just like I love all of you."

2 comments:

CNH said...

That happened to us earlier this year, minus the cops. Noah escaped (he was NAKED) and some neighborhood girls walking down the street stopped him. He was happily going on a walk! @@!!!! Scared the crap out of me, and ITS NOT THE FIRST TIME! So beware. Escape artists are hard to stop.

Chelsea said...

That is sooo scary! I can just imgaine all the emotions you felt! I am glad he didn't go far. Poor Ezra and poor mama!