19 February 2008

The Birth Addict...

That would be me. I found this link on another person's blog, and I'm sitting here in tears.

DFW Birth Photographer

I know that many people think I'm whacked for being so fascinated by the birthing process. I think it is one of the most beautiful things to watch. I also realize that many see it as a means to an end. That birth is something you have to go through to get your baby. How it happens doesn't matter. To me, it does. My first birth was full of interventions, and I feel like Allison was born when she wasn't ready. No, it's not like it's the most terrible thing that can happen, and in the end, I ended up with a healthy little girl.

But I knew that when I got pregnant with my next that things would be different. Barring any complications, I would call the shots. I would be informed. My blind trust was gone, and that was a good thing. I used a midwife (Molly Germash, one of the best in the DFW area... I loved her.), and she respected my choices... Gave me tons of information... Helped me have a really pleasant pregnancy... I learned how help with swelling nutritionally. I could go on and on. And the most important thing was that I felt like I was visiting a friend. We hugged and talked for an hour or more at every appointment. Sometimes, I had to wait a little while because she was taking time with another client, just like she would do with me.

I had Anna, and felt empowered. She was born when she was ready... She was born without any unneeded interventions. My birth was perfect.

The same thing happened with Ezra. I know that I would not have been able to have the birth I wanted in a hospital setting. Ezra was huge. Ezra was born 19 days past his due date. I knew all the risks, and took many precautions. We knew my pelvis could handle a large baby. We had biophysical profiles to determine that he was healthy inside my womb, just not ready to be born yet. I used another midwife for this birth, Sorani Munoz, and couldn't have been more pleased. (I was going to use Molly again, but she was going to be on vacation the month he was due.)

Anyway, look at those photos. *sigh* They are stunning, and fully capture the intimacy and beauty of birth.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I met with Molly and was going to use her but I ended up having a miscarriage. She delivered one of my friends babies. She is so sweet. Glad you were able to have the births that you wanted, I wish every woman could experience birth like that.

Chrystal said...

Hi Jenn,

My name is Chrystal and I found your blog because I googled Sorani :)

I would love to chat with you off line about your experience.

Will you please email me @

chrystalhurst@sbcglobal.net?

I look forward to hearing from you.